Acacia • Acacia
Trees & Shrubs
Conditions: Allergic rhinitis; allergic asthma
Symptoms: Itchy, stuffy, or runny nose; post-nasal drip; sneezing; itchy, red or watery eyes
Physical description: A deciduous tree that can grow up to 50 feet tall; leaves are fern-like, with light yellow or white flowers with numerous prominent stamens; fruits are dry pods
Environmental factors: Found in hot, arid regions; pollen is heavy, so it only remains in the immediate vicinity of the tree
Included species: Acacia baileyana, acacia berlandieri, acacia decurrens, and more
- “Acacia.”Dictionary.com. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/acacia
- “Acacia Allergy.” Livestrong.com. http://www.livestrong.com/article/540038-acacia-allergy/
- “Acacia.”Pollen.com. https://www.pollen.com/research/genus/acacia
- “Acacia Trees.” 20-20 SITE. http://www.2020site.org/trees/acacia.html
- “Pollens and Other Allergens.” AAIF of Northern California. http://www.aaifnc.org/seasonal_allergy_plants.html
Did You Know?
In the US, acacia can be found listed in the ingredients of the following popular beverages: Sun Drop, Fresca, RC Cola, Barq’s Root Beer, and Strawberry-Lemonade Powerade. In addition, the gum is used in Altoids, Wrigley’s Eclipse chewing gum, and M&Ms pretzels.