Sagebrush • Artemisia
Conditions: Allergic rhinitis.
Symptoms: Itchy, stuffy, or runny nose; post-nasal drip; sneezing; itchy, red or watery eyes.
Physical description: Genus of aromatic shrubs that grow from 18 inches to 6 feet in height; many American species have silvery foliage and a woody base.
Environmental factors: Pasture and prairie sagebrush are often used in landscaping due to weather tolerance and appearance; species have adapted to their own unique environments, with common sagebrush one of the most prevalent species in the Great Basin Region and mugwort sagebrush common in floodplains and meadows at high elevations; pollen spreads through the air over a vast area.
Cross-reactivity: Species from the Artemisia family
Included species: Artemisia tridentata, artemisia frigida, artemisia ludoviciana, and more
- “Sagebrush.”Merriam-Webster. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sagebrush
- USDA NRCS Plant Materials Program. BIG SAGEBRUSH. Artemisia tridentata Nutt. USDA NRCS Plant Materials Program Edited: 31Jan2002 JLK; 31may06jsp Accessed June 27, 2017
- “Sagebrush.” United States Department of Agriculture. https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/artemisia_tridentata.shtml
- “Nevada.” State Symbol USA. https://statesymbolusa.org/
- “Allergies to Sagebrush.” LIVESTRONG.COM. http://www.livestrong.com/article/238752-allergies-to-sagebrush/
- United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service. Plants Profile for Artemisia Douglasiana Besser. Artemisia douglasiana
- “Plants Profile for Artemisia tridentata tridentate (basin big sagebrush).” USDA – Natural Resources Conservation Service. https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=ARTRT
- “Douglas’ Sagewort (Artemisia Douglasiana).” USDA – Natural Resources Conservation Service. https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_ardo3.pdf
- Tutka, M. 2015. Plant Guide for California mugwort (Artemisia douglasiana). USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service, Plant Materials Center, Lockeford, CA.Published: August 2016
- United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service. Plants Profile for Artemisia ludoviciana (white sagebrush). Artemisia ludoviciana Nutt
Did You Know?
Sagebrush is the official state plant of Nevada. It is featured on the state’s flag and is even mentioned in the state’s song.